Tuesday, September 8, 2009

San Cristobal:Fabuloso:Rosado



I like Ashton's cigars, I also tend to like Don Pepin's creations so when a friend of mine gifted me this cigar I was more than excited to smoke it, Thanks Landon! So I've also heard that this San Cristobal was in the works for a while and after much acclaim this cigar was getting great reviews. So is this cigar worth the hype?

SPECS-
Size-6.25x52
Wrapper-Nicaragua
Binder-Nicaragua
Filler-Nicaragua
Price-$13.00
Smoke Time-1 hour
Cut-Guillotine
Drink-Starbucks Iced Mocha

FIRST IMPRESSIONS-The first thing that catches your attention is the big vermilion Parrot. The band is very classy along with the wrapper. Even though the wrapper was spotted with veins this one year old aged wrapper (Thanks one more time Landon) looked fabulous. The brown leaf was very matte in its finish and sweetly fragrant. The foot was earthy and spicy with a cold taste that was married with the same spice and a touch of hay. The solid construction gave the perfect draw and I knew I was ready for something special.

FIRST THIRD-The perfect draw bloomed the perfect bloom of smoke. Very thick and white, the first initial flavors was of black pepper spice that hit you one the nose that almost made me want to sneeze, but I smiled, I was happy thus far. As the spice progressed the sweet and earthy mocha left a good finish in my mouth that had a coffee bean taste in the middle. The cigar is burning at a even pace and good burn line, it's worth the hype so far.









SECOND THIRD-The spice takes a back seat in the second third and leaves ample room for the flavors to flourish. Along with the mocha a touch of cedar is introduced in the finish that thicks the mouth with an almost like syrup finish similar to one of Pepin's creation "My Father". Along with the finish a nice bit of cream joins along that makes you want to sip the cigar and wish it burnt more slowly and that's the only gripe I have with the stick so far, it burns just slightly too quick.



LAST THIRD-The spice picks up where it left off. The mocha is welcomed back and the finish changes. The cigar still coats the palate but the cedar changes to more of a burnt bread flavor that is similar to crispy pizza crust, along with this bready flavor a touch of sea salt is sprinkled here and there. The ash held well and the rate of burn picked up the pace a little bit. As the cigar starts working it's way to the nub it greats you a farewell and see you soon with a good bit of rich tobacco taste and a rounded out flavor that I just couldn't pick up, a great finish.

FINAL IMPRESSIONS-This was a great cigar with a great well rounded flavor, Don Pepin never disappoints. The price point is just about right for one of Pepin's blends and Ashton's craftsmen ship, though I wish this cigar burnt a little slower and wish the flavors were more robust. But overall this is a good stick for a good occasion say you won $500 bucks on a scratcher ticket or good enough for a treat cigar. I'm glad I got to try this cigar and my world is just now opening up to Don Pepin's master selections.

RATING-93
Buy It Again? Yes
Recommend It? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment