Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Macanudo 1968:Toro:Maduro



So its safe to say that every cigar has a story. With me the Mac' 68' has plenty. A year ago this smoke was introduced not only to the world but to me. You see I happily turned 18 and began my cigar smoking adventures and since then the Mac' 68' followed. This is my favorite smoke and the first cigar I truly enjoyed. But now that I have experienced a whole bunch of sticks and discovered new flavors how does this Mac hold up? Does it still bring fond memories?

SPECS-
Size-
Toro 6x54
Wrapper-Honduran San Agustin Havana Seed
Binder-Connecticut Habano
Filler-Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ometepe
Cost-$10.70
Smoke Time-55 mins
Cut-Punch,Guillotine
Drink-Mcd'S Caramel Iced Coffee

FIRST IMPRESSIONS-The first thing you notice on this cigar is the appearance of the wrapper. The wrapper is very chocolate brown with no veins and slightly figured leaf. The band looks gorgeous on this fragrant leaf, the band is very sophisticated and contrasts well with the brown leaf. Punching the cap was flawless and the cold taste gave off a sweet yet spicy straw taste. This cigar is still as good as I remember.

FIRST THIRD-The cigar catches the flame quite well, what a great intro. to a dar
k wrapper Macanudo. The cigar first welcomes you with thin wisps of smoke. The initial flavors are a sweet cedar with backdrops of nuts. The finish isn't very strong but leaves a subtle spice on the nose and mocha as the background. A very enjoyable third. The burn line is a little hectic though needing a touch-up every 10 puffs or so. The cigar overall isn't very strong or offencive, it seems like it's very polite. As if it invites you in to a nice and cozy den on a wintry morning. If you can't tell by now I really like this smoke.

SECOND THIRD-Alright enough of the figurative description this is a review and not a poem, its just hard though, not only does this cigar offer flavors to
me but every time it presents me with a experience. The second third brings about more of the same flavors but they are more defined. The nuts get toastier and the mocha more chocolaty. The nut flavors is like macadamian nuts and the mocha more like a sweet chocolate that is not all there. A thing about these flavors though, they're not pronounced flavors that linger. Their just short flavors that you recognize and decay rather quickly. The finish is lightly thick, bringing about a caramel flavor, but this might be because of my drink. Burn line is still hectic and I wish for just alittle more bang, this cigar needs a nice umph to bring it along. Its still very relaxing though.

LAST THIRD-The last third gets quieter. The cedar is still semi-present and the n
uts don't taste like anything in particular. Gone is the mocha and replaced with leather. The finish is a lot dirtier and darker, this makes for a good finish to a good cigar. The flavor profile is tricky still. You get good flavors in this stick but they're mild flavors. There isn't anything over the top, I mean this is still a Macanudo. But I don't mind smoking this Mac and the last third just like always is very hard to put down.



FINAL IMPRESSIONS-I can still see why I like this stick. This is a real treat cigar. I wouldn't call this an everyday smoke, nor a celebratory smoke. It'll be good on long days that never seem to end, a cigar for when I'm feeling down. I ended up laying down and smoking this stick, after a year of smoking it still smokes beautifully. But not everything is perfect. My palate is more accustomed to stronger and bolder flavors. I spoiled myself with perfect ashes and perfect burn lines, and sadly this stick today didn't have any that. At $10 it's a pricey stick. Most people will think twice before picking up a $10 dollar stick with a Macanudo band. I'll be the first one to admit there are better sticks for the $10; "My Father" for example, but for me I never hesitate. I do apologize if this was more of a poem review, but I'm passionate for this stick and I think for good reason too. So are the ads true about this cigar? Is it"dark,rich, and unexpected? No, this cigar isn't any of that. It's just good.

RATING-89
Buy It Again?
Yes, quite simply.
Recommended? For the new smokers wanting to try a Maduro leaf yes, Stronger Maduro lovers though might find the stick lacking, either case though I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment