Tuesday, September 15, 2009

La Aurora 100 anos:Robusto:Corojo




I have a very fond memory of my first ever La Aurora 100 Anos. Back in the summer I payed a Boston a visit, a city in which I came from before I moved to SC. It was a very long time since I I've been there and couldn't wait to see my old friends. Once there I traveled to a B&M and had a blast, I was taking the subway, the bus, and even walking my old streets. It really was a blast to the past traveling to get this cigar. Once I got it I held on to it and smoked it here in SC and it wasn't that good. I blamed my eagerness to smoke it and me not being patient for not waiting for the cigar to settle in my humidor. So felling a little homesick I bought another one to give it another try. So does this cigar bring back fond memories? Or are those memories better off forgotten?

SPECS-
Wrapper-Dominican
Binder-Dominican
Filler-Dominican
Price-$13.00
Cut-Guillotine
Smoke Time-45 mins
Drink-Coke

FIRST IMPRESSIONS-This is a very pretty cigar from the lion to the cardboard colored leaf, this cigar presents itself well. The almost vein less wrapper was very fragrant with compost. The foot was also had an outstanding smell of graham cracker and raisins similar to the Opus, I felt that I had a little treasure on my hand. Clipping the cigar was effortless and it produced a hay flavor with the same graham cracker on the foot. The wrapper was slightly spicy on the lips and I couldn't wait to spark it up.

FIRST THIRD-The first initial flavors are very woodsy,that bring about a very present oaky finish to it that was very delicate. Along with the oak a slight nut flavor was intermingled but somewhat muted by the strenght of the oak.The oak also brings along a sweeter and woodsy undertone of flavor that is very similar to cedar. The slow and somewhat lopsided burn worries me but so far it's not to bad of a cigar and it brought some memories back from my trip. A great introduction.

SECOND THIRD-The flavors get more delicate and the burn more erratic. During the period of this third I had to touch up the cigar numerous of times which took away from the overall experience. As the flavors mellow out more the cedar brings a sweeter finish that was starting to shape up to be an orange peel taste but I'd loose the taste because of the burn. The burn also gets very hot and I have my focus somewhere else because of this disappointing third. As the flavors get more delicate the cigar does too, after getting hot I left the stick down for maybe two minutes and it went out . After that I had to keep puffing the cigar to keep it lit and with the constant relighting it brought along a harsh tar taste.

LAST THIRD- After a nice purge the cigar is on track again. The cedar is still sweet but any hints of oranges are far gone but a cherry flavor is now the undertone. The nut flavor is still there but its not sweet, it just brings a floral taste almost like honey and it's delectable. But again the cigar doesn't fail to disappoint. After maybe an inch of solid smoking the cigar gets messy again. I had to relight it numerous times and was only greeted with harsh ash flavor and nicotine. After many tries I just gave up on the smoke completely,it was good while it lasted.

LAST IMPRESSIONS-Overall this was a very woodsy cigar with complex undertones, this cigar might of been a fluke but my gripe is at $13 dollars a stick there shouldn't ever be a fluke. This was an interesting cigar to bring back old memories with, but at the price range I know cigars that offer better experiences and better memories. Good thing about this cigar though is that when I was done, the nub made a very good device to wipe off my B&M's ash tray. The flavors were good though, but ultimately the construction overshadowed the experience for the worst.

RATING-77
Buy It Again? No
Recommended It?
Maybe yes, if you don't get a fluke and enjoy very woodsy cigars. Overall though no.

No comments:

Post a Comment