Sunday, October 4, 2009

Romeo Y Julieta:Exhibición No 4:Cuba


Ahh Cuba, a land of many mysteries and misconceptions. A land famous for its Dictators and Cigars. Everyone has heard of the such famed and glorified cigars. Many non cigar smokers know the prestige that a Cuban Cigar carries especially due to their legality issues in the U.S.This is my first ever Cuban that was gifted to me from a very good friend of mine.(Thank You man, I'd put your name out here but I didn't know how comfortable you are with the Cuban thing.) So today on a very random Saturday on a pretty average day I decided to smoke something less than average. Just trying to write my first Habano review is exciting, its hard not to write about Cuban over glorification or the Cuban's semi-rarity. But are Cubans really that good? Let's find out.

SPECS-
Size- Robusto 5x48
Wrapper-Cuba
Binder-Cuba
Filler-Cuba
Price-~$13
Cut-Punch/Guillotine
Smoke Time-45 mins
Drink-Cuba;(Rum and Coke)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS-This is a very neat and well constructed cigar, the wrapper was a very smooth cardboard brown that was nicely wrapped a compost fragrant wrapper. The wrapper featured a nice Cuban Triple cap and was very toothy with minimal smooth veins. The foot smelt of raisins,thyme, and basil almost like a Kuba Kuba but without the sweetness. The circle cut was very crisp and clean and produced the perfect draw. The cold taste had a good bit of anise and gave off an salty impression aon the lips,if this is what Cuba has to offer so far I'm impressed

FIRST THIRD-I choose to light this cigar with a few long cigar matches for I felt a torch lighter was just too unruly on such a beauty of the cigar. Once the cigar started toasting it produced a most wonderful room note and bellowed out tons of thick white smoke. This ton of smoke was very creamy and smooth on the palate. (For those that never had a Cuban this flavor profile is very similiar to "My Father".) First tastes are of a smooth and rich cedar with nuts with a lovely deep earth flavor behind it. (The well roundness of the smoke and good flavorful mildness reminded me of a Davidoff). The nut flavor almost isolates it self sometimes and produces lovely tones of rich earth with a undertone of anise. The pepper on the cigar is almost nonexistent for me and can only be found on rather harsh retro-hales. The burn though is slightly uneven and the cigar is burning too quick. But again this was a great intro into the world of Habano cigars.

SECOND THIRD-Finally a cigar review into regular thirds! The ash did not hold up very long. Every inch or so it would stray off and need a touch up or it'd fall on my lap. The same flavor profile still remains, except here the earth flavor picks up and a occasionally tastes of chocolate that are sublime add to the true mystery of smoke. The creamy smoothness of the cigar is without a doubt the best aspect of the smoke. The earthiness of the cigar is very present and in this third it never got vulgar. Just a well crafted stick with well crafted flavors.

LAST THIRD-The cigar gets more palate-clinging and puts out very good flavors of smooth and rich leather that I've never experienced before. Along with the new found leather a sweet herbness is introduced and has a good licorice herb flavor to it. The finish is still silky smooth with no harshness and with sips of my Cuba the drink leaves a nice Ale like flavor on the palate the most peculiar taste I've had. As the cigar reaches to the end it becomes very hard to put down. As the cigar got to its last quarter inch, the cigar was cool to the touch and burned but yet still flavor full. Quite an experience.

LAST IMPRESSIONS- I really liked this Cuban, I can see why this is most cigar smokers bread and butter but I feel that a Cuban is more reserved for a special occasions. If I had more of this cigar I'd probably smoke it in the morning with some Cuban Coffee and enjoy my morning. I smoked this cigar after I came home from work and it completely unwound me. I just wish this cigar picked up some extra "bang: towards the end and I also hoped for a stronger wrapper that didn't smoke so quick. Cubans get a lot of hype and if they taste like these I can see why. The smoking experience of a Cuban is a one of a kind expirience that you wish you've had all the time. Again I just want to thank my friend for this great experience that he was able to share with me and without him this review wouldn't be possible. A side note though while smoking this cigar I felt like the biggest oxymoron. I was smoking a Cuban Cigar in a American Made car,and with a Cuban drink served with lots of Americana playing. This oddball of a coincidence also made the cigar great and without a doubt made a good impression that Cubans are very very good.

RATING-96
Buy It Again? If I Could Buy Cuban Cigars in America yea without a doubt.
Recommend It? Yes, whether its a give or you got to "Cuba" to buy one I'm sure this R&J will be magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment